by Grace Warren
Here at Iowa State University of Science and Technology, we do not condone procrastinating. You should definitely do your homework. However, if you happen to find yourself procrastinating, here is a list of the top ten movies to watch.
10. Lee Daniels’ The Butler– This movie is loosely based on the life of an African American man who worked as a butler in the White House and his experience during the civil rights movement and other notable events of the 20th and 21st century. It is seriously appalling that Forest Whitaker did not get an Oscar nom for this movie. Watch it and you’ll see what I mean.
9. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World– This is an adorable, relatively unknown film about two acquaintances and their last 3 weeks on Earth before an asteroid strikes and destroys the planet. The film stars Keira Knightley and Steve Carell. At first, they seem like an odd pair, but as the story progressed, I came to appreciate the juxtaposition of their two personalities.
8. Holes– A great movie based on an equally great book. I had completely forgotten how much I loved this movie until I watched it with my roommate last week. Also, young Shia Labeouf is adorable. Definitely worth a watch.
7. Bend it Like Beckham– This movie is about an Indian woman named Jess (Parminder Nagra) who loves soccer. She discovers that there is a women’s team in her town, but she has to fight against her family in order to participate. Not only does she struggle against her family and community, but she also runs into drama with her coach Joe (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) and her friend Jules (Keira Knightley). This movie also has its fair share of comedy, though. If nothing else, you’ll at least find the clothing from the early 2000’s funny.
6. Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure– A lot of good comedies were made in the 80’s, but this one is my favorite. It is about two very excellent dudes who travel back in time and bring famous historical figures to the 20th century in order to pass their history class. These figures include Socrates (pronounced So-Crates), Billy the Kid, and Genghis Khan. Also, if you’ve ever wondered where the Conspiracy Keanu meme comes from, it’s this movie. PARTY ON, DUDES!!
5. Any Disney movie made before 2000- Although there definitely are some good Disney movies made after 2000, I personally think the majority are not great. Before 2000, however, there is an abundance of awesome Disney movies! My personal favorites include 101 Dalmatians, Pocahontas, Fantasia, and Remember the Titans.
4. Midnight in Paris– This movie is brilliant. It is about an American writer named Gil (Owen Wilson) who travels to Paris with his fiancée Inez (Rachel McAdams). As Gil is walking the streets of Paris at night, the clock strikes midnight and a car pulls up to him. He gets in and the car takes him back to the 1920’s where he meets a number of famous people including F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, Pablo Picasso, and more. Anytime someone asks me for a movie recommendation, this is the one I suggest. Seriously, it’s awesome.
3. Endeavour– OK, technically this isn’t a movie; this is a BBC mystery series set in 1960’s England. It follows the police work of Inspector Endeavour Morse as he uses his incredible intellect and in one super cool episode his knowledge of opera to find serial killers. The crimes in this series are so complex that I doubt anyone watching would be able to solve them before Morse does. This show will seriously blow your mind. If you are a fan of Sherlock, you will definitely love Endeavour. In fact, even if you aren’t a fan of Sherlock/haven’t watched Sherlock (I’m pretty sure those two are one and the same) you will probably still love Endeavour. And it was just recently added to Netflix and Amazon Prime! Yay!!!
2. Pitch Perfect– This movie is probably my current favorite comedy. Honestly when I watched the previews, I thought this movie would be terrible, but now I watch it all the time. I once watched it 3 times in one week… If you haven’t seen it yet, watch it. It’s totally worth it.
1. About Time– This is without a doubt one of the best movies I have seen in years. It is about a man who has the ability to travel back in his own timeline and change the decisions he has made before. I can’t really say anything else without ruining the movie, but everyone should definitely watch this movie. P.s. you’ll probably want a box of tissues.