by Grady Jensen
For most people, especially us students, summer is the greatest time of the year: a time when the weather is great and we are free to do what we want to do. No worries about class work and stress getting you down. Some of us are guilty of getting locked into a routine and letting the glorious weather and free time pass without feeling like we have taken advantage of every opportunity the season presents us with. Summer flies by before we know it. To avoid feeling like you have completely missed out on enjoying the whole summer, here 10 ways to help you make the most of the rest of your summer.
1. Get outside every day. Whether it’s a few hours or a few minutes per day it’s important to take advantage of the sunny, warm days while they are here. The subfreezing temperatures will be around for us to walk to class through in Ames very soon so enjoy the warmth now!
2. See old friends. This one applies more to those of us who are at home for the summer. You know those awesome friends you had in your neighborhood growing up that you were bummed to have to leave at the start of freshman year? Go see them! You only have 3 months out of the year to do it so make the most of that time!
3. Spend time with family. If you don’t see your family regularly during the year you should spend some quality time with them when you’re home. Since I am from Minnesota I don’t see my family much during the year I feel that taking the opportunity to spend some good quality with them is hugely important. Even if it is just eating dinner with your family I highly recommend using what time you have for them.
4. Go on a trip. Summer is about doing some things that are fun which you wouldn’t otherwise get to do during other times of the year and taking a trip is an awesome way to enjoy your summer! For me, this summer has included a camping trip up to the North Shore of Lake Superior with some buddies, a wedding in Las Vegas, and a family trip to the cabin on Gull Lake in Brainerd, Minnesota. All of the trips were a blast! It was really nice to have a variety of experiences and different types of trips.
5. Earn money to pay the bills. Let’s be honest: school and everything else that comes with it is expensive. Summer is when we have the most time that we can commit to earning money to use for tuition or just spending money. Either way, reducing future debt is important and whether it’s a part time job, internship, or just taking time to apply for scholarships as if it were a job, we could all use the money.
6. Take time to relax a little every day. This could be done in a variety of ways and you should do whatever you enjoy the most. Personally, I like to spend time with my friends, go out by the pool, watch some TV or, occasionally, read a good book. Just take some time for yourself.
7. Get things planned for apartments/dorms. The time to move back down to Ames for the school year will be here before we know it and whether we like it or not, some planning must be done. So take the time to sort out who’s bringing what and how the arrangement will work when the time comes around to move in and live together. Communication is key!
8. Watch the World Cup! I personally am not the biggest fan of soccer, or futbol, whatever floats your boat, but I will definitely watch the world cup and you should too. Not only do you get to support your country, but it only happens once every 4 years so enjoy it! For those of us whom aren’t as familiar with the sport it’s a great time to get exposure to it. U-S-A!
9. Catch up on sleep if possible. I love naps and I’m sure that I’m not alone in that or feeling sleep deprived during the school year so it’s time to catch some Z’s. If you work during the day and have to be up early then take a nap every once in awhile. If you can sleep in, do it at least a little because those of us who can’t sleep in will be upset with you out of jealousy.
10. Try something new. Something new could be anything you want it to be, making new recipes, learning to dance, a new sport, anything! New things open our eyes and enrich our lives so don’t be afraid of them.
Summer won’t last forever so make the most of it while you can. You won’t regret it!