How to Make an Easy Greek Yogurt Smoothie
by Kiran Sharma
Hello Honors! This semester I have been experimenting with making more of my favorite drinks at home because I realized (the hard way) that spending $5 for a smoothie or coffee adds up really fast during the semester! Instead of talking about coffee though, I want to share a healthy drink recipe with you: my easy Greek yogurt smoothie. The recipe is super easy and easily modifiable (i.e., you can substitute different berries, add a half banana, change the type of milk or yogurt, etc.). I have tried this recipe many ways and the smoothies always taste delicious. If you are someone like me who struggles with eating enough fruits during the day, and get tired of the regular apples, bananas and oranges, then this a great solution!
The picture shows you everything you need. As you can tell from the picture, I went to Fareway this week, but they have all the ingredients at Hyvee and Wal-Mart as well. Normally I use 1% milk, but this week I bought 2% at the grocery store (honestly it tastes the same in the smoothie). The flax seeds are optional, but I like adding them because they add a little bit more texture to the smoothie (and are good for you!!!) especially if you use this smoothie as the main entrée for your meal, which I do because it is very filling.
- Put about a cup (8 oz) of frozen berries into your blender (you can always add more).
- Empty the entire individual cup of Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt (or whatever vanilla yogurt you choose) on top of the berries in the blender.
- Pour milk in the now empty yogurt cup to the line as shown in the pictures below. Then pour milk into the blender. (You can add more milk to make the smoothie thinner or add less to make the smoothie thicker).
- Optional: top off your smoothie with flax seeds. I use about 1-2 tbsp.
- Blend and enjoy! Your finished smoothie is about 14 oz.